Successful mentors fulfill 6 key roles. Take a moment to see how well you are doing for your proteges.
- Motivator – Positive reinforcement, self-confidence and self-esteem, maintain perspective, and visionary
- Coach – Listening, questioning skills, willingness to challenge, and ability to diagnose
- Counselor – Perspective – broader context of ‘situation, ability to evaluate various career options
- Teacher / Advisor – Knowledge, instruction capability, selflessness, confirm understanding, and assess learning
- Sponsor / Door Opener – Provide networking opportunities, selflessness, and willingness to share
- Role Model – Consistent execution, leadership, work ethic, respect others
I’ve uploaded a blank version of this tool on the tools page. Just click here to download.